For those who enjoy keeping a vegetable garden, only a few are not familiar with the need for garden pest control. For insects, it may be hard to determine the best insecticide for a vegetable garden with the many products available. This article looks further into these pesticides to determine their characteristics, followed by a review of these five products:
- Southern Ag Natural Pyrethrin Concentrate
- Organic Neem Bliss Pure Cold Pressed Neem Seed Oil
- Monterey Garden Insect Spray with Spinosad
- Bayer Advanced Natria Neem Oil Concentrate
- Scotts Ortho MAX Garden Disease Control Concentrate
Learning About The Best Insecticide For Vegetable Garden Plants, Fruits, And Vegetables
Insecticides are a type of pesticide. Pesticides are used to control pests, including various animals and plants. A garden pesticide is used for safe garden pest control. The safest insecticides have the ability to kill bugs on plants without damaging the vegetables in a garden.
Types Of Pesticides Used For A Vegetable Garden Plants, Fruits, And Vegetables
Herbicide type pesticides for gardens/plants/vegetables: are a form of pesticides used in a garden used to remove unwanted plants, such as weeds. Non-selective pesticides for plants will affect all plants and shouldn’t be used in your garden. Selective pesticides are used to control specific plants, making it a better pesticide to use in a garden that has vegetables.
Insecticide type pesticides for gardens, plants, vegetables: are a garden pest control used to remove unwanted animals that can damage the vegetables in your garden. They are usually the safest type of garden pesticide since they don’t harm plants. The best insecticides can be used on vegetables.
Synthetic Insecticides Or Naturally-Occurring Insecticides For Gardens/Plants/Vegetables?
Garden plants can be treated by insecticides made from synthetic materials. These insecticides may not be the safest option, as they may contain chemicals that can be harmful to humans, plants, and vegetables.
An option that many gardeners consider safe is the use of natural insecticides (also called botanical insecticides) to kill bugs on plants. The best botanical insecticides are safest for your vegetable garden because of the pesticide source coming from minerals and plants.
Botanical Insecticides For Gardens/Plants/Vegetables
Neem Oil Garden And Vegetable Pesticide
These vegetable garden insecticides come from the neem tree. It can be used in a garden to control pests on the plants and some garden diseases that may damage your vegetables. This is also used to prevent insects from laying eggs in a vegetable garden.
Pyrethrin Garden and Vegetable Pesticide
This type of vegetable garden insecticide comes from pyrethrum chrysanthemum plants. While it is one of the best natural insecticides to use on plants and vegetables in the garden, some garden keepers feel it isn’t as safe due to added toxic chemicals that will cover their vegetable garden.
Spinosad Garden And Vegetable Pesticide
Vegetable garden insecticides of this variety are derived from a soil bacterium. Not only is this natural insecticide safe for plants in the garden, but they are also safe for use on decorative plants as well. Many garden keepers suggest it as the best when asked what to spray on vegetable plants for bugs.
Insecticide And Pesticide Usage On A Decorative Garden Or Vegetable Garden/Plants/Vegetables
Even the best insecticide for vegetable garden will need the proper conditions to work their best and safest on your garden. Some steps for (using a garden pesticide) for garden pest control include:
- Identify the garden problem before selecting a garden insecticide/pesticide.
- Determine the best garden pest control options before using a garden insecticide/pesticide on your garden.
- Select the best and safest garden insecticide/pesticide to use for the garden pest control problem.
- Calculate the area and amount of garden insecticide/pesticide needed for your vegetable garden.
- Determine when it is best and safest to use the garden insecticide/pesticide on your vegetable garden.
Safe Usage Of Garden Insecticides Or Pesticides On A Vegetable Garden/Plants/Vegetables
You should always be (safe when using) garden chemicals, including a garden insecticide on your vegetable garden.
Before using any garden pesticide, including a garden insecticide used to kill bugs on plants, it would be safest if family members and plants were kept away from the vegetable garden while you sprayed the plants or vegetables with the insecticide.
Before spraying a garden pesticide, including those used to kill bugs on plants, make sure to read the label to determine what protective clothing and gear are needed before spraying your vegetable garden plants, fruits, or vegetables.
It is safest to mix garden insecticides outdoors before spraying them on your vegetable garden fruits or vegetables. Mix only the amount needed to cover the vegetable garden to avoid storing excess garden chemicals.
Being safe includes being prepared for accidents when using insecticides on your vegetable garden. It would be best to prepare for spills and to read safety warnings before applying garden insecticides to the fruits or vegetables.
Be safe and wash your hands after spraying your garden. This (video) discusses the various types of pesticides used in a garden, including insecticides used to kill bugs on plants in a vegetable garden. The University of Kentucky has written in detail on how to (read labels) on garden insecticides used on fruits and vegetables in your vegetable garden.
Reviews Of The Best Insecticide For Vegetable Garden
Southern Ag Natural Pyrethrin Concentrate
An organic insecticide used for decorative gardens and vegetable gardens.
This concentrate can be applied directly to your vegetable garden as well as interior spaces in the home or barns. It has been formulated to act as a spray for large area coverage or as a dip that can be applied to animals or plants.
It also includes nearly 10 percent Piperonyl Butoxide for added effectiveness. This insecticide can be used on a variety of crawling and flying insects including beetles, mosquitos, flies, lice, and worms in your vegetable garden.
While the canister can be challenging to use with protective gear worn, the smaller size allows for easy storage.
- Can be used as a spray or dip
- Safe to use on livestock, pets, and vegetables
- This product is usable on decorative plants, gardens, households, and barns
- Garden chemical only comes in eight-ounce bottles
- The product can be messy when pouring for mixing
Organic Neem Bliss Pure Cold Pressed Neem Seed Oil
One of the safest chemicals you’ll use on vegetable gardens.
This product may be a good selection for organic gardens due to its high Azadirachtin content. This naturally occurring compound comes from the Fruit and seeds of the Neem tree.
The cold-press refining method extracts the Neem oil while leaving contaminants behind. Due to its viscosity, it may need to be warmed before it is used on your vegetable garden.
Not only is it safe to use on vegetables and flowers, but it can also be used on humans and animals. This can be used indoors, but it does have a strong odor.
- A cold-press refinement provides pure Neem oil contents
- It can be used on humans, pets, and vegetable gardens
- The Neem oil can be used indoors and outdoors
- It may work better as a repellant than as a garden insecticide
- This product may require warming if it is below 70-degrees Fahrenheit
Monterey Garden Insect Spray with Spinosad
A spinosad derived insecticide for placement in outdoor vegetable gardens.
This concentrate is made through the fermentation of bacterias and is safe to use on edible vegetables. While it is a natural garden insecticide, it should be used only in an outdoor setting.
This product is fast-acting, but additional applications may be needed after 48-hours. It can be used to control infestations in the garden, and it can be used on lawns also.
This pesticide can also be used to control many pesky broad-leafed weed species. It appears to be less effective on aphids, however.
- It is usable on decorative plants, lawns, as well as vegetable gardens
- This can also be used to control broad-leafed weeds as well
- The product is available in a smaller and larger size
- The handle does not have holes for your fingers to slip through
- It should not be used in indoor settings
Bayer Advanced Natria Neem Oil Concentrate
A concentrated Neem oil insecticide that targets common garden pests.
This organic concentrate can be used on vegetable gardens to fight pests such as aphids, spider mites, and whiteflies. This pesticide can also help with infestations of diseases such as black spot, powdery mildew, and rust in your vegetable garden.
This product was designed to be used in and around your home but it should be kept away from animals and family members due to the added chemicals Bayer includes.
It should be applied on calm days and in dry conditions to prevent it from breaking down.
- Can be used on flowers, fruits, roses, and vegetables
- It is also effective against a variety of garden plant diseases
- This product is safe to use up to the day of harvest
- Mixing can be more labor-some than other types of products
- The product has a strong odor in concentrated batches
Scotts Ortho MAX Garden Disease Control Concentrate
A pesticide designed to work against an array of plant diseases.
This concentrate is formulated to stop many diseases found in vegetable gardens including blight, powdery mildew, and fruit rot.
This pesticide is formulated to not only halt many plant diseases, but it can also act as a buffer that helps to prevent these diseases from taking hold in your garden or yard.
When mixed, this concentrate breaks down into a thin consistency that can be sprayed easily.
- It prevents many diseases as well as stopping their growth in gardens
- Can be used on flowers, fruits, shrubs, trees and vegetables
- This product mixes fairly easily from concentrate
- This product is just a pesticide, not an insecticide
- It requires a tank sprayer for the best coverage of your vegetable garden
Which Pesticide Is Best?
Of the five, we feel that the Monterey LG6135 Garden Insect Spray, Insecticide & Pesticide with Spinosad Concentrate, 32 oz stands out as the best insecticide for vegetable garden uses.
- Fast acting and odorless - Monterey insect Killer is a bacterial product produced by fermentation which rapidly treats plants and does not produce odors.
- Controls many insects - the insect treatment Spray controls caterpillars, leafminers, codling moth, tent caterpillars, gypsy moth, trips, borers, fire ants, and more.
- Variety of uses - this pest control can be used on outdoor ornamentals, lawns, vegetables, and also broadleaf weeds.
- Easy spray application - this CSI alternative product may be applied with a trigger sprayer, hand-held, backpack, or hose-end Sprayers. Carefully read the label directions before use for optimal application.
- Organic gardening - the active ingredient in our bug Killer spray is a natural bacteria called spinosad, which is the newest agricultural chemistry to be introduced. Approved For organic gardening, our product is safe for use around people and pets.
This product is made from natural bacterias that were developed through fermentation. That makes this insecticide free from synthetic compounds that can be toxic. It is also safe to use on your vegetable garden without having to worry about damage to the plants.
It acts quickly but does not linger in the vegetable garden. That may require extra applications, but you don’t have to worry about over-coverage. This product also helps to control broad-leaf weeds.
The manufacturer produces it in a variety of sizes, providing you with pest control without the need for excessive storage.